Saturday, May 3, 2008

Dead Horse, Satan's Staircase, and the Three Mile Smile

On my second day in Vegas, I decided to try a trail in the Cottonwood Valley called Dead Horse. The map said 11 miles, but I passed mile marker 14.6 a long way from my truck. I'm guessing it ended being around 17 miles total, and worth every inch.

The trail started with a gradual climb up to these mountains. They looked so close, but were over two miles away.

Space takes on a new meaning in the desert. I could see the cars in the distance, but couldn't hear them.

Wish I knew his name. Stared at this craggy mountain for much of my ride.

The cacti were in bloom.

If you open this photo up, you can see Vegas in the background 20 miles away(the tower is the Stratosphere).

Saw a lot of shotgun shells. Little spooky considering how remote the trail system was.

At the top of Satan's Staircase: a quick climbing series of switchbacks. View was incredible.

Coming down the backside of Satan's Staircase, singletrack twisted through the Joshua Trees.

And eventually gave way to a sweeping trail through the red dirt. Unfortunately the ride was so much fun, I forgot to take pictures.

Twisting through the Joshua Trees again, on the way home.

No comments: